Inflammation is at the root of most diseases. To reduce the risk of inflammation, which can create new health problems or exacerbate an existing one, it’s important to incorporate organic, anti inflammatory foods into your diet. Below is a list of 11 foods that will reduce inflammation and give you the pain relief that you need.
- Green Leafy Vegetables. Anything that’s green and leafy has major health benefits, and is rich in vitamins A, C, and K. They help protect your brain, and vegetables like bok choy are high in hydroxycinnamic acids, which scavenge and push out the free radicals and toxins from your body.
- Dark Colored Berries. When a berry is a deep, rich color, that indicates a high concentration of flavonoids, which fight inflammation and cancer. They also aid in improving memory and motor function.
- Celery. This vegetable is rich in potassium and antioxidants, which help to flush toxins out of the body. Celery also helps to balance the sodium levels in the body.
- Beets. These little red globes are excellent at repairing cell damage. They are also rich in magnesium, which has been linked to helping with inflammatory diseases.
- Broccoli. Women have a high level of hydro-estrones, a cancerous hormone. Broccoli contains indoles which reduces and balances out hydro-estrones.
- Olive Oil. While olive oil has been long linked to achieving soft skin and gorgeous hair, olive oil is also high in quercetin, a type of flavonoid, which has been proven to have amazing anti inflammatory properties.
- Sprouted Seeds. These are rich in minerals and essential fatty acids. Look for sprouted seed items (like bread) at your local grocery store, or make sprouted seeds yourself at home.
- Pineapple. This sweet and tangy superfood is high in bromelain, vitamin C, vitamin B1, potassium, magnesium, and antioxidants. It helps modulate the immune response and reduces platelet aggregation.
- Omega 3s. You have probably heard of these essential fatty acids and their nutritional benefits. Among other things, omega 3s are excellent anti inflammatories. They can be found in cold North Atlantic fish, walnuts, flax seeds, and chia seeds.
- Ginger. This root is an immune modulator, helping to remove toxins and inflammation due to the over-activity of the immune system.
- Turmeric. The active ingredient in turmeric is curcumen. Curcumen is several times more potent than taking an aspirin.
These are just a few examples of anti inflammatory foods that are easy to incorporate into anyone’s diet. You can pick and choose the foods you like from this list and make a quick and easy smoothie for yourself every day, just follow the recipe below:
Anti Inflammatory Super Smoothie Recipe
Choose your favorite unsweetened liquid (milk, non-dairy milk, water, coconut water, etc.) and measure 1.5 cups into your blender. Then, add a big handful of your favorite green leafy vegetable (spinach, Swiss chard, kale, etc.). Add 1-2 cups of your favorite fruits or vegetables (pineapple, beets, dark colored berries, broccoli, etc.). Then super charge it with the following: ginger, walnuts, flax seeds, and/or chia seeds. Blend until smooth and enjoy with a celery stick!