Foods That Promote Lymph Flow | Lymphedema Treatment in New York
The lymphatic system is a web of tissues and organs that allow the body to rinse itself from toxins and other undesired matter, keeping the bloodstream healthy. Its main function is to maintain lymph flowing, a fluid part of your cardiovascular system that circulates throughout your body. You can think of it as one of the body's drainage systems: it needs to be clear to work as it should. Certain habits and lifestyle choices can cause the lymph to slow down, leading to lymphedema.
To keep this system clean and flowing, it is important to improve your diet. This will help lower the risk of developing lymphedema or reduce its symptoms if it is already present. Knowing which foods stimulate this system is a great way to start. In this blog post, we’ll enlist some examples so that you know what to eat if you want to take good care of your lymphatic system.
Foods that promote lymph flow
- Protein– Protein is a vital nutrient for the cells in the lymphatic system. It also helps the immune system stay healthy, which in turn makes your whole body more robust and more likely to resist bacteria. You can find healthy proteins in eggs, milk, yogurt, fish, legumes, and greens.
- Leafy Greens– Greens are known to eliminate many toxins and chemicals that have a detrimental effect on our bodies. At the same time, they bring in lots of nutrients like vitamins A, C, and K, iron, magnesium, B vitamins, and protein. Adding more greens to our diet can significantly help prevent lymphedema from developing. Some examples of leafy greens include spinach, kale, wheatgrass, and broccoli, among others.
- Herbs and Spices– Herbs and spices are some of the best natural antioxidants that help both the brain and the digestive system function properly, benefiting lymph flow. Some of the best examples include ginger, garlic, coriander, cinnamon, black pepper, cardamom, and turmeric.
- Seeds– Some seeds are rich in magnesium and healthy fats, which support the nervous system and the body's lubrication, respectively. Another benefit they bring to the table is their role in scraping toxins from the digestive tract through their healthy fibers. Examples of healthy seeds to add to your diet include chia, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and hemp seeds.
- Berries– Berries, in general, are rich in nutrients that help detoxify our bodies. These nutrients also bring in hydration that aids in maintaining a healthy lymph flow. Cranberries, in particular, are highly recommended, as they have antibacterial properties that directly relate to filtering toxins in our bodies. Remember to buy fresh fruits and avoid the sweetened and processed options to get the most benefits.
- Fruits and Water – Water is vital and the main source of hydration to your body. Not only is it essential, but it helps keep nutrients and everything inside our bodies moving in the right direction. If you do not do so already, make it a habit to drink plenty of water throughout your day. Fruits also contain many types of vitamins and nutrients that your body needs and healthy sugars that are preferable to the processed version.
Lymphatic System Specialist in New York | Synergy Health Associates
Whether you think you might be at risk of developing lymphedema in the future or want to learn more about how to prevent or treat this condition, Synergy Health Associates is your best choice. Our team of specialized professionals with plenty of experience helping patients receive the aid they need will gladly attend to yours. We strive to give you the most comfortable and caring experience during your treatment. Schedule an appointment online or call 212-243-5515 today!